Observing Time Policy and Procedure
The equipment and facilities of the
Wise Observatory are constructed
and maintained for the use of the scientific community in general.
Available observing time on the
Wise Observatory telescope will be
shared between staff members and visitors, and will be allotted on the
basis of scientific merit and suitability of instruments. The final
responsibility for all allocation of time shall be the director's.
- Requests for observing time are submitted to the observatory
office using the standard Observing Time Request Form.
Tex and postscript files of the Time Request Form are available over the Internet at http://wise-obs.tau.ac.il/observations/forms/ .
- Requests for observing time should be made for the six month
periods October 1 - March 31 or April 1 - September 30, and should
be submitted prior to the preceding August 1 and February 1
respectively. Late requests will be granted only in exceptional
cases at the discretion of the director.
- Graduate students must submit an endorsement from their faculty
advisor along with the form. The endorsement must contain statements
concerning the student's academic standing, the acceptability of the
proposed research to the department, and the capability of the student
to perform the proposed work.
- Requests will be reviewed by a scheduling committee appointed
by the director.
- Any applicant who feels that the decision on the telescope
allocation has been unfair may appeal directly to the observatory
director for reconsideration.
- Once telescope allocations have been made, revisions in
schedules must be negotiated through the director.